Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day late, bit short

I'm moving into the busiest time of the year at work right now, so this is a day late and a bit short. Just a round-up of the things I'm thinking about right now.

I don't think that women are giving cultural space to express anger the way that men are. I'm impressed that "Avatar: The Last Airbender" devoted an entire episode to a woman exploring her anger over the murder of a family member, without deriding or diminishing that anger as cute, funny, or something that needed to be fixed.

Ed Brubaker was the only writer who really did Catwoman justice. All other writers failed miserably at portraying her as an interesting and complex character who had much more going on than just "teh sex."

I'm disappointed that Congress couldn't pass even a modest gun control act. I'm also disappointed that if and when immigration reform goes through, it is still going to be heavily connected to the employment status of undocumented immigrants. People are more than their perceived "usefulness" to the marketplace.

The pears are really good this year. Yesterday, I bit into a pear and it shot juice straight up my nose.

My radio show is done for the spring season! We won't be having a summer season because the station no longer has a mixing board. Also, we can't find any students who can commit to being monitors for us, and without monitors, there is no show. They make it all happen, I literally can't even turn on my own microphone.

This time of year, because of all the paperwork we handle in the office, I dream about names. Just names and names and names running past my eyes all night long. It reminds me of the one time I took magic mushrooms and hallucinated that my body turned into very fancy text. Except work isn't as frightening and it puts money in my pocket instead of taking it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment