Sunday, October 18, 2009

More cats than you can handle

I love cats. I've always loved cats, as you can see here and here and even here. That's why, on Saturday, even though it was the first time in a long time that I didn't have to work with the Village Voice on a weekend, I hauled my mewling carcass out of bed and schlepped through the wind and rain to the Javits Center for the Meet the Breeds pet show, the largest in the world, with over 160 breeds of dog and 41 breeds of cat.

I have a Flickr stream of the photos here. Needless to say, it's pretty cat-heavy. Dogs, meh. They're okay, they're just not cats. Useless trivia fact of the day: there are many different ways for doggies to look, from Chihuahua to Mastiff, because humans domesticated dogs a long, long time ago. And there aren't that many ways for kitties to look--a cat always pretty much looks like a cat--because cats domesticated themselves, insinuating their kittyselves into our Sumerian ancestors graineries and acting like they owned the place until the Sumerians looked up and realized the cats weren't going anywhere. 7w6y7777777777777777 My own cat just typed that on my keyboard. Consider it a historical contribution.


Here is a picture of me with a Turkish Angora cat also named Rachel. I voted for her as Prettiest Kitty in show, the audience participation contest. I hope she won.

1 comment:

  1. It was so lovely to meet you Rachel and for you to meet our "Rachel" a blue silver tabby Turkish Angora who spent the weekend meeting many different Rachels, some young some old all who loved the fact that she shared the name. I will never forget how great the weekend was and how nice it was to meet so many different Rachels!!!

    ReplyDelete