Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hurrah! A Bolt of Light! CD release show

My co-host did the math. He determined that after doing our radio show from June of 2012 to April of 2014, where we've hosted 60+ live local bands and played music from at least another 60, I have gone out exactly once.
It's just so comfy here...
In my defense, I went out A LOT when I first moved to New York and was working on the street team with the Village Voice. And like a little kid overdosing on Pixie Stix and Raven's Revenge one fateful sleepover, for a long time afterward, the thought of having to put pants on and go rub shoulders with sticky yahoos in a noisy bar made me feel a bit pukish.

Also, I've been around a lot of loud things in my life and I get a faint ringing in my ears sometimes.


But I lost THAT job back in 2010, so it really is time to get back on the sticky, noisy yahoo horse and be part of the scene again. Last Saturday, I went out to Rockwood Music Hall to Hurrah! A Bolt of Light!'s CD release show.


Hurrah! were our guests on the Rodent Hour back in Fall 2013, and at the risk of making all our other guests cry, they're my favorite. They have this big, magnificent sound with really catchy, poppy hooks and an underlying darkness to the lyrics that's just a joy to listen to.


And happily for me, they had a special guest percussionist playing with them that night, Seth. Seth is in one of my other favorite bands from our show, the Nightmare River Band. He is possibly the only person on the planet who can make the tamborine badass.

Seth on the left. You might tell from the lack of captions above that I don't remember any of the other guys' names.

What else can I say? The band was great, it was a good crowd, and the venue was super close to a subway station on my line. I went alone, didn't drink, and was home by 11:30.

I'm easing my way back in. Don't rush me.

Hurrah! A Bolt of Light! is selling their self-title album on their bandcamp site. You can listen to the whole thing for free first if you're not sure about spending $7 on a band that will blow your panties off with awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment