Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Triumphant Return

This year, for my birthday, I'm going to Honolulu!
I googled "honolulu city" and was no disappointed. That's right. FEAR MY COMING.
I haven't been back to Honolulu in six years, not since I moved to New York City. Honolulu was the first place I pulled on my big-girl panties and did Womanly things, like vote, perform slam poetry, get tattooed, and decline to sleep with a man because there was sand in his bed and all his towels were being used to block the light from the marijuana-growing operation in his closet.

Good times.

Most people don't think of Hawaii in very "urban" terms, but Honolulu is a proper city, with culture and strife and a homeless problem exacerbated by gentrification and an ever-widening gap between the rich and the poor.
What does that remind me of?
My current city better hope my ex-city got fat or something. I may be tempted to stray and drink cheap beer in some other dark hole with a hot dog cart outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment