Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New Season of The Rodent Hour

One of the larger issues I've been tossing off--wait, let me start over, that sounds dirty.

One of the larger issues I've been mulling over is whether the Rodent Hour should be "the Rodent Hour" or "The Rodent Hour." When I tweet and tumbl and make the press releases, I mean. Should it be the Rodent Hour like the United States, or should it be The Rodent Hour like The Lord of the Rings? Is the name of my radio show a title, like the title of a book, or a title like King, President, and Dungeon Master?

I presented the dilemma to my co-host and he said, "Capitalize the 'T'." And that was that. We didn't even have a discussion about it. I just don't understand. How does it not keep him up at night, worrying about capitalization? Do you have any idea how long it takes me to write my book reviews when all the words on the book jacket are capitalized and I have to guess what the title should look like in my blog's luxurious Garamond font?! THESE ARE IMPORTANT THINGS!

 No, he worries about crap like the music and if the bands are comfortable when they're in the studio. He wants to get good lighting and new microphones, keep things clean in the studio and make chili for our guests. I suspect he doesn't care about indefinite articles. This may become a problem later down the road. Shared values are important for any artistic venture.

I kid, of course, although considering how much I ended up being able to write on the indefinite article in The Rodent Hour, maybe I should get help. Anyway, last night, I began my second year of co-hosting an online college radio show. (The radio show is online, not the college.) Our opening guest was You Bred Raptors? The question mark is compulsory.

You may recognize Peat, Zach and Bryan from the Union Square subway station, their most common venue. I should have asked them more details about it last night, because not just anyone can play music in subway stations. You have to audition and be vetted by the MTA, and get some kind of special permit. To answer the question you're probably asking, yes, they get hassled by bums a lot, but no, the bums don't steal their money. They try, but as it turns out, bums are really bad at stealing. Not to make light of our homeless problem, but the mentally ill and substance-addled aren't the most functioning and efficacious folks in the world, and Zach is more than capable of protecting the guitar case of cash and CDs. Apparently there's some tourist's YouTube video of him wrestling some stolen goods back from a bum, but I've had a hard enough day without dealing with whatever the Internet is going to kick back with those search terms.

I told you not to search for it.
As always, if you missed the show when it was on, we put it up on our soundcloud account. Hmm, maybe that should be SoundCloud...

Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment