Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Years Redesign

I rather like the Buddha and Lady Liberty together like that. Not a lot of people realize how many Buddhists live in Hawaii. Mum and I were once in Hilo, on the east side of our island, for a Christmas concert with the children's chorus (we were music geeks together for a brief time, Mum and I, she in the adult and me in the kiddy chorus). We decided to drive around the neighborhood after the show and look at Christmas lights, but we didn't see a single display. Took us twenty minutes to remember that Hilo is mostly Japanese people, who are mostly Buddhist, an equation that results in a net total of zero Christmas displays. Lovely gardens, though. Rains quite a lot on the east side.

This Christmas I was back on the Big Island for holiday, visiting with Mum and Sister. I managed two days of work in the Sister's office--my customer service stories pale in comparison to hers, she works with addicts and youth offenders--one trip to the beach, one moonlit walk around the cow pasture and coffee orchards with the cat at four in the morning, one day of ironing quilt material, and three days of yardwork in my nightgown with no underwear on.

All in all, a successful vacation. Good to be back, everyone. Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment