Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mermaid Parade in the Rain










I've been feeling bad about my poor orphaned blog... all alone in the netwebs... languishing... abandoned...



So here's a mermaid!



Some of the what, four people who read my blog (thanks very much, by the way), may already know that in addition to my mighty temping powers, I am also a part-time Street Teamster with the Village Voice. Not exactly writing restaurant reviews, but at least they let me inside of their offices now, if only to pick up postcards and fliers to distribute. It gets me out of the house and I get to hang out in Bedstuy's ritzy neighbor, Fort Greene, so I'm pretty pleased I have this gig.



Today, the Village Voice sent me to Coney Island to put up posters for the Siren Music Festival. (July 18th, if anyone is wondering.) Since it was Mermaid Parade Day, there were lots and lots of mermaids wandering around, along with sailors, Greek gods, Elvis, and a British judge from the 1700s, because apparently "mermaid" is more of a guideline than a rule. Unfortunately, I didn't take very many pictures because it was pouring rain and I was juggling Siren posters and an umbrella. So here's a picture of a dude craming a Nathans hot dog into his mouth. I wanted to get the mermaid in front of him--that's the crap of blue in the left corner--but alas: only hot dog guy.



Coney Island is a pretty crap-tacular experience, as evidenced by this palm tree. It's where old carnivals--and carnies--come to die. The rides were literally the same as the ones at the Kailua-Kona Farm Fair, and I saw more neck growths on the staff members than a person should see in a single day.



Needless to say, as soon as my vaccinations are up to date and it stops raining, I'm totally going back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment